Last Saturday I went down to the San Jose Hilton to train as a reunion coordinator for a company called Great Reunions. Great Reunions is the mother of all high school reunion managers. My friend Denise did name badges for them at their events last reunion season. I looked up the Nor Cal
manager for my area and jetted off an email to him to see if he had any openings. After all who wouldn't want to get paid 50 bucks a night to pass out name badges or take payments at the door? But then I see that you can be a coordinator and basically run the event for them at $100 a night AND you get a room at the venue! After a few emails back and forth I am set off with my dh and kids in tow towards San Jose. I figure they at least get to enjoy my free room and the hotel since I will be working.I met Larry, the manager for the first time and was introduced to his manager Sande and others. The training was basic and it was fun to listen to all the stories of reunions past. After a brief training we set out to do set up for the impending reunion. I set pom poms and megaphones (totally my thing!) at each of the tables and reception area. Set up the memory books and name tags and after passing out few of them, went to sit with the other trainee to learn the cashier duties. The reunion was a '75-'76 combo and it was hilarious to people watch. From the reunion crasher, who was a guest at the hotel, and wearing his black sweats and shirt (hello? step it up on the wardrobe if you are going to crash it) to the classmates refusing to leave the area after running out of dinner tickets to sell at the door. You can just tell the men who must have been little shits in high school.
After a debriefing, we were told we could go and it was only 9:30pm! I hung out for a bit to soak it all in because my next event I go solo but was reassured that the manager dude Larry would be there for my first two. So far, I have 6 events. I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.
Damn...hook me up. I want a job like that! How many hours do you have to work the event?
ReplyDelete