Saturday, June 13, 2009

Campeones Bimbo Nacional 09 Day 1

This year I was invited to Ixtapa, Mexico to judge their National Dance Championship. The trip was especially exciting because my BFF Jenn from S. Ca was going to be there as well. Jenn and I talked on the phone for weeks and planned our outfits for each day and event. I had to get a new passport because 1. I hadn't seen mine since we moved into our house 7 years ago and 2. It was expired and had my maiden name. Once the passport arrived in super speedy fashion, the trip was eagerly anticipated.

On Thursday evening, I kissed Kent and the girls goodnight and stayed awake to detail the schedule for them while I was away.


After a connecting flight in LAX, I met up with Jenn at the Ixtapa airport. After waiting a couple of hours for our ride, we decided to just hop in a cab and head to the resort. Our cab driver was super speedy and spoke limited English, but was nice all the same.


At a stop light, a lady walked in the streets and just started cleaning car windows. She passed by our car and went to the one behind us. Can you see my frizzy hair in the corner of the pic? It was so hot and humid, my hair looked like Diana Ross hair by the time we got to the resort.

We arrived at our resort and gave the secret password to the guard at the gate, so he let us in.

The great Mexican Flag hanging just outside of the resort.

The registration area.
Pedro is putting the green bracelet on my wrist, which meant all inclusive, so all the food in the resort was included in our stay. I also got a black one, which meant all the drinks you wanted. Margaritas and Pina Coladas poolside!

After meeting up with fellow judges Shannon and Jenny, we headed back to the lobby to meet the competition director Diana and her wonderful staff. She passed out the programs which included our bios and the schedule of events that would be going on over the next few days.


We were also given tshirts to wear on the day we did private coaching with the competitors. I LOVE this shirt! Bimbo's was the major sponsor for the competition and it is a bread company that is under the same umbrella as Oroweat and Entennman's. We explained to the ladies in charge what Bimbo meant in the U.S and they laughed and then pointed fingers at each other.

Back in our Villa we tried on our masks to see if they matched our outfits and then decided no one else was wearing them so we figured we were safe as long we washed our hands a million times a day.

After unpacking we headed to the pool to relax and cool off before heading to bed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, DeeDee~
    That looked really nice. It probably felt like a vacation to you. That pool looks gorgeous. I'm so jealous. But I'm glad that you're back home and safe and that they didn't keep you over there. I was looking at you and Jennifer's bios and it struck me funny that you have a white name and she has hispanic name now. That's hysterical. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time and I'm glad you're home now. I love you and I miss you. Give Kent and the girls (Who are beautiful) A big hug from me. I'll talk to you soon.

    Lanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dee Dee: Enjoyed your pictures and narrative of your trip to Mexico. It looks like it's a great resort and you had a great time. I got a laugh out of the "schedule board" you left for Kent. Too bad you guys have so little to do. Love Jim and Judy

    ReplyDelete